Pollinators, Pests, and Protein: Insects in Agriculture
Insects are fascinating, freaky, frustrating, and yes—may even be a source of food. Via farm and agribusiness tours, expert speakers, and ag literacy resource exploration, the 2022 SAI will give teachers tools and background knowledge to broaden students’ appreciation of insects and agriculture in our lives.
When: June 8-10 & 13-15, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Where: DeKalb County Farm Bureau and area tour sites
Registration & Scholarship Application: Complete the form found at bit.ly/SAIreg2022. Please follow the payment link after submitting your registration. This form also includes the scholarship application if you wish to apply.
Credit & Cost:
- Teachers may earn 45 PDCs or 3 hours of graduate credit. Open to preK-12 teachers.
- The registration fee is $150 for all participants.
- Those wishing to earn graduate credit will also need to enroll in the course and pay approximately $300 tuition through the University of St. Francis for a total SAI cost of $450.
- Tour local farms and interact with the farmers who raise our food.
- Visit agribusinesses and investigate career opportunities in agriculture.
- Examine issues of food production (food safety, environmental protection, etc.) and discuss age-appropriate ways to explore them with students.
- Develop lessons to incorporate food & farm-related content while addressing learning standards.